CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Masai Tribe

While we were on safari we went to a village of the Masai and it was an interesting experience.

They are such an awesome people. It was amazing to go to their village and see how they live, and the huts the women built and how many cows their future wives will be and the rich culture that they live in everyday.
they did a dance for us to welcome us to their village. i wasn't paying attention to what the dance was for but i think that it is the dance they do after they kill a lion. (they have to kill a lion before they can get married)
There is a video on youtube of the dance that i unwillingly got swept into, scared me. Scott from the WOD team recorded it.

video credits to Scott Thomas.
this tribe is amazing athletically as well. not only do they kill lions, scary, but they can jump so high and make it look so effortless. I should have recruited a few for the volleyball team. This is a standing vertical. no approach. no help from their spears. some of the best jumpers didn't even have shoes.
this picture makes me cringe, and i'm sure it makes a lot of people cringe as well. but he is also so cute, look past the flies. In the Masai village they build their huts out of dung and in a circle so during the night their cows sleep in the middle of the village, so being resourceful people they make their huts out of cow dung and there are flies all over. The flies never bother them because since they are little they crawl on them and they can't even tell.
I wish i had a tolerance for bugs, but unfortunately while i was there i looked as though i was having a seizure trying to swat the flies away from my face.
One of the guys in our group Tad, had the joyful experience of accidentally sniffing up a fly as he was trying to take a picture i believe. That gives me some gross chills, yuck. sorry tad!
the huts that the women have to make for the men
Masai warriors

More Masai Warriors, i think the one on my left liked me a bit.

2 thoughts:

Brooke Wilkins said...

I love the dance video! So classic. That last pic, the guy looks way creepy and kinda scary!

My Walkabout said...

Thanks for vid credit Chelsea! I need t oback and give you full credit for all of your amazing pic's that I've put on facebook and my blog. You truly are amazing with that camera. Well, just truly amazing!